The WZB Berlin Social Science Center, Research Group “Health and Social Inequality” (headed by Dr. Jan Paul Heisig), invites applications for two positions as
(65% of the regular working hours; currently 25.35 hrs/week)
for four years, preferably starting in April 2019.
The research group seeks to understand the interplay of social inequalities in health, education, and labor market attainment from a life course perspective, with a strong focus on the emergence of inequalities during childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood. Particular attention will be paid to the moderating role of public policies and of meso-level contexts such as school environments. These goals will be pursued primarily through theoretically informed quantitative empirical studies using a variety of German and international data sources. Further information about the goals of the group can be found at https://www.wzb.eu/en/research/dynamics-of-social-inequalities/health-and-social-inequality
Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to the work of the group through intellectual exchange, the development and implementation of independent and collaborative research projects, the presentation of their work at conferences and workshops, and the publication of results, preferably in peer-reviewed English-language journals. Further qualification towards a doctoral degree is highly welcome.
- Excellent academic credentials (master’s degree or equivalent) in sociology or another social science (public health, education, economics). Applicants who have not completed their master’s degree by the time of the application should include a statement from their supervisor confirming the expected date of graduation
- Very good knowledge of quantitative research methods, including techniques of data processing and statistical data analysis (strong preference for Stata and/or R); experience with complex data structures (e.g., multilevel/longitudinal data) is a plus
- Good knowledge of theories and current empirical research on social inequalities in at least one domain relevant to the research program of the group (health, education, labor markets)
- Strong interest in the research agenda of the group and willingness to write a dissertation related to it
- Excellent English language skills in speech and writing (knowledge of German is not required)
Remuneration: Salary group EG 13 TVöD (in accordance with German public service collective agreement).
Applications should consist of a cover letter, CV, sketch of a research idea related to the program of the group (1-2 two pages), work sample (seminar paper or thesis), bachelor’s and master’s degree certificates, and official transcripts of coursework. Applications should only be submitted electronically as a single PDF file and no later than December 31, 2018, to
Dr. Jan Paul Heisig
WZB Berlin Social Science Center
sek-aam [at] wzb.eu
Further enquiries should be made by email to jan.heisig [at] wzb.eu